Our last visit to Disneyland, I became obsessed with mint juleps. They were always on my “to try” list, but I just never got around to it. I made it a mission this time to make sure I tried one. One sip, and I was HOOKED! I was a little skeptical because I don’t like actual mint juleps (the alcoholic kind) but this one was an absolute dream! Naturally, as soon as I got home, I began brainstorming ways to figure out replicate it at home. Disneyland’s mint julep recipe became #1 on my Disney recipe to do list!
After a bit of experimenting, I was able to put a small twist on it and get the flavor JUST right. Here is my version of the mint julep – I hope you guys enjoy it!
**this post contains affiliate links! This means I may receive financial compensation for my recommendations. Please see my disclaimer for more information!**
Mint Julep Recipe
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup lemonade
- Fresh mint
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice. I elected to make my own lime juice for this drink, however store bought lime juice is also fine!
- 2 tbsp mint syrup. This was VERY hard for me to find around here but eventually tracked it down at Wal-Mart. If you’re having trouble finding it, Amazon has creme de menthe syrup that would be perfect as well! Additionally, if you’re not a huge fan of the minty taste, simple syrup will also work (although I don’t know why you’d want the mint julep without the mint!)
- Maraschino cherries for garnish. I recommend rinsing them off before using them due to all the extra syrup they soak in when you buy them.
This recipe makes 4 drinks.
This drink whips up really fast. This recipe can also be doubled, or even tripled for parties and get togethers!
Add the water and sugar to a saucepan and boil until the sugar is dissolved. Add a handful of mint leaves to the water to allow them to soak into the water and give it a minty taste.
Once the sugar is dissolved, strain out the mint leaves and chill the mixture for about 10 minutes.
While that was chilling, I made my lime juice! Like I said, I chose to make it myself. However, you can easily buy it pre-made at the grocery store, but I had a citrus juicer, so I figured – why not?!
Add the lime juice, lemonade, mint syrup, and 1/2 cup of the boiled sugar mixture to a cocktail mixer and shake well!
Pour over ice and serve with cherries and mint leaves for garnish!
This drink is DELICIOUS but, as you may have guessed – FULL of sugar! Still, as a treat every once in a while, it simply can’t be beat!
I tested this drink with my boyfriend, and he said it tastes super close to the version we had at Disneyland! Find the easy to print version below. Check it out and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to check out my other Disney inspired recipes like my Casey’s Corner Copycat Mac and Cheese Hotdog.
Mint Julip (Non Alcoholic) Disneyland Copycat Version
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lemonade
- 2 tbsp mint syrup
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- cherries and additional mint leaves for garnish
- Add the water and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the mint leaves. Cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes on high heat. Strain out the mint leaves. Chill mixture for 10 minutes.
- Add lime juice, mint syrup, lemonade, and 1/2 cup of the water/sugar mixture to a cocktail shaker once mixture has cooled.
- Shake well, pour over ice, and garnish with cherries and mint leaves. Enjoy!
What are some of your favorite Disney drinks? Let me know in the comments below!
And don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter so you can get updates when I post new Disney content!